The fast and easy method for cooking scrumptious, savory bratwurst in the oven.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Are you on the prowl for a quick and easy dinner idea that is sure to satisfy your famished family? Or have you been designated to host the next family gathering or friendly party? How about some tasty bratwurst to fill their hungry bellies?! I know what you might be thinking…too cold to break out the grill right now…too rainy out…too busy tonight…not enough time. Nonsense! Bratwurst dishes can be fast, easy, and yummy at any time of year – no grill required. My fast, no-grill, brat-cooking method is sure to ease your dinner strain and help you get food on the table fast!
So what is my fast method, you ask? The oven! These flavorful sausages can be baked in the oven for a quick dinner idea that is easy-peasy and still bursting to the brim with flavor. I actually prefer to use the oven over the grill sometimes because the brats turn out plumper and juicier. This cooking method is wonderful for busy weeknights, when there is cold or bad weather out, or just an awesome alternative to standing at the grill all afternoon on a beautiful day. This super simple method will allow you to whip up a savory evening family meal in a snap and it only requires a few items for success!
To easily bake flavorful bratwurst in the oven all you need is a baking sheet, parchment paper, and a package of bratwursts. Just line the baking sheet with the parchment, space out the brats, and bake for about 20 minutes at 425°F, flipping the brats halfway through cooking.
What do You Need to Cook Bratwurst in the Oven?
Start by gathering up the cooking equipment required for this recipe. So, what all do you need for this easy dinner idea? Not much! Which is one of the biggest reasons that makes this recipe a delight for busy parents everywhere. All you need to gather for this kitchen project is just a pack of brats and a few baking items.
Bratwurst baking equipment:
- A baking sheet
- Parchment paper sheets –
- I like to use these pre-cut parchment paper sheets because they are perfectly cut to fit the baking sheet size.
- These are also more eco-friendly than foil and absorb the grease rather than letting the brats soak in it while cooking.
The only ingredient needed:
- 1 package of bratwurst (pack of 5)
How to Cook Easy and Delicious Oven-Baked Bratwurst
Cooking bratwurst in the oven is super easy and super quick! Even better than other meats because bratwursts are already packed full of flavor and therefore do not even need any seasoning. Besides leftovers, this is the quickest and easiest route to a delicious and savory dinner! Hosting a party full of hungry bellies? Just make a big batch of these for easy serving!
- First, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Next, line one baking sheet with a pre-cut parchment paper sheet.
- Then, spread the bratwursts out over the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Make sure to leave space between each one so they can cook thoroughly.
- Bake the brats for 10 minutes.
- Then, flip the bratwursts and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the brats reaches 160°F.
- Pull the baking sheet of cooked brats from the oven.
- Finally, cover the whole sheet with kitchen foil and let the brats rest for 5 minutes.
Storing Cooked Bratwurst
Have some bratwurst leftover from a party or gathering? No worries! These tasty sausages can be saved for later enjoyment!
- Transfer to an airtight container or ziploc plastic bag and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To freeze cooked bratwurst:
- First make sure they are completely cooled.
- Then, to keep them from freezing together, spread the brats over a baking sheet and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Transfer the partially frozen brats to a freezer-safe ziploc bag, mark the date on the outside, and return to the freezer.
- These will stay good up to 3 months.
- To thaw the brats, set them in the fridge overnight.
Easy Bratwurst Dinner Ideas and Party Suggestions
There are all kinds of different ways to serve bratwurst in scrumptious dishes. From weeknights to weekends, from summer kabobs to winter comfort meals, bratwurst are great at any time of year! And with this oven-baked recipe it’s even easier to make a satisfying and flavorful dinner for your family to enjoy any time or to easily satisfy a whole party full of hungry bellies! Need some ideas on what to pair with these flavorful sausages?
- Wrap in hot dog buns or sausage rolls and garnish with favorite toppings, like mustard and chopped onions.
- Serve as the main dish with a side of oven-roasted veggies or fries.
- Chop or slice the brats and add to a pasta or rice dish.
- Chop and serve with sauerkraut or fried cabbage. For extra yumminess, serve brats and kraut on top of a bed of mashed potatoes.
- Serve with skillet-fried potatoes, onions, and carrots.
Hosting a party or family gathering? Brats are perfect party food! Just grab more baking sheets and a few more packs of brats.
- Serve with potato cakes and beer for a fun adult gathering.
- Pair up with some traditional potato salad or German-way potato salad.
- Add to kabobs with baked onions, mushrooms, and other veggies.
- Whip up a batch of broccoli or cucumber salad.
- Make a big pot of mac n’ cheese for plenty to go around.
It doesn’t take much to see that these oven-baked bratwursts are an excellent option for a quick, easy dinner idea. Just pop them in the oven and whip up some sides real quick and your family dinner is ready to go! Or pop in a whole batch to prepare for a party full of friends and loved ones. Either way, you can rid yourself of strenuous kitchen/grill time and still serve up tasty satisfaction. For other blissful, oven-baked ideas, check out my recipes for Baked Chicken Breasts and Oven-Baked Bacon.
Oven baked bratwurst
- 5 Bratwurst 1 package
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place bratwursts on the parchment paper with space between them.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip bratwursts and bake additional 10 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Pull out of the oven, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.