How to make easy homemade cornbread muffins with a delightfully spicy twist!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Cornbread is already a super satisfying addition to many meals on its own, but serve it up in muffin form and it gets even better! Cornbread muffins are perfect individual serving sizes, no cutting or splicing is necessary. Then mix it up with a spicy jalapeno twist and these cornbread muffins are on a whole new level of tasty!
My recipe for these spicy cornbread muffins is kind of similar to Mexican cornbread, but without the cheese or corn found in many of those recipes. My take on these spicy treats is closer to the traditional style of cornbread, just with an added spicy kick to really pump up the flavor!
From chili nights to roast dinners, I love adding a little spice to my home cooked meals by making a batch of these spicy cornbread muffins to bring it all together! Especially once the cooler months and chilly air start creeping in, adding a little heat to dinnertime can actually be a bit of a treat for some of us. Or if you happen to be someone who likes spicy foods regardless of the weather, these jalapeno cornbread muffins are a perfect way to add some spice to any meal at any time!
Simple Cornbread Muffin Equipment
For these simple and spicy cornbread muffins, I only need the help of a few common kitchen tools. Here’s what I use to whip up a batch of spicy delight:
Spicy Cornbread Muffin Ingredients
As for the ingredients? Well, I have a very simple, yet spicy, list for these jalapeno cornbread muffins. Again, most of these items are pretty common in many household kitchens so this recipe doesn’t require anything too special. Here’s what I use:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg – beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 5 jalapeno peppers
Making Cornbread Muffins with a Spicy Twist
Now let me break down this simple and spicy process for you! This jalapeno cornbread method is extremely easy to follow along with so let’s get started:
- First, preheat the oven to 400° F and grease the muffin pan with room temperature butter or vegetable shortening.
- Next, dice 3 of the jalapeno peppers into small cubes, and slice the other 2 jalapeno peppers, with the seeds, into rings.
- To make pepper prep even easier, I like to use a pepper corer to easily remove the seeds for the peppers that will be cubed.
- Then, in a large bowl, use a blending whisk to mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, mix the beaten egg, oil, and milk together.
- Next, carefully pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir until all of the ingredients are combined well. Then, fold in the cubed jalapeno peppers.
- Afterward, use a batter scoop to spoon the cornbread batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Place a sliced jalapeno pepper or 2 on top of each cornbread muffin.
- Finally, bake the spicy cornbread muffins for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Storing Cornbread Muffins
After cooling, store cornbread muffins either in an airtight container or a large plastic bag lined with paper towels. The paper towels help to absorb any moisture that the cornbread muffins may put off while in storage. Store cornbread muffins in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. Always label the date on the outside of the container to keep up with freshness.
More Muffin Recipes
Spicy Serving Ideas
During the cool autumn and winter months, spicy cornbread pairs perfectly with just about any meal! It’s an easy way to add some satisfying flavor to busy weeknight meals and fun weekend dishes alike. Need some serving ideas? Here are a few of my favorite meals to pair with these jalapeno cornbread muffins:
Serve Spicy Cornbread Muffins with:
- Pot Roast
- Fried seafood
- Veggie plates
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Summer Cucumber Salad
- Classic Guacamole
Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease muffin pan with room temperature butter.
- Dice 3 jalapeno peppers into small cubes. Slice 2 jalapeno peppers with seeds into rings.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients. In a medium bowl mix egg, oil, and milk.
- Add wet ingredients into a large bowl with dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Fold in cubed jalapeno peppers.
- Spoon cornbread batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Place sliced jalapeno pepper on top of each cornbread muffin.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.