Discover the perfect balance of tangy and sweet flavors with a moist and fluffy texture in these irresistible Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins that will brighten up your mornings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
I’m a firm believer that anything with poppy seeds is automatically better. Maybe it’s because my mom and I used to hit up the local bakery every week, and I’d always get something with poppy seeds. Fast forward to today, and I still love anything with poppy seeds, especially Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. There’s just something about the balance of tangy lemon and sweet poppy seeds that makes these muffins irresistible.
But did you know that poppy seeds have a long history of culinary use? The Greeks and Romans used them to flavor their dishes, and the Egyptians even used them for their medicinal properties. And now, here we are, using them to make muffins. It’s a wild world we live in, folks.
As an avid baker who loves to experiment with different muffin recipes and variations, I always come back to the classic Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. These muffins are perfect for breakfast or a midday snack, and the tangy lemon and nutty poppy seeds create a delicious and refreshing treat. It’s like getting a little dose of ancient history with every bite, thanks to the culinary use of poppy seeds dating back to the Greeks and Romans. In addition to Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, some of my other favorite variations include Blueberry Muffins with White Ganache, Cranberry Orange Muffins, Caramel Banana Muffins, and Apple Sharlotka Muffins. I highly recommend giving these variations a try, especially the Blueberry Muffins with White Ganache or Cranberry Orange Muffins. With these recipes, you’ll be able to explore different flavor profiles and discover new favorites. So why not grab your apron and start baking?
If you’re a fan of lemon desserts, you’re going to love these muffins. And if you’re not a fan of lemon desserts, well, we can’t all be perfect, can we? But seriously, these muffins are worth giving a shot. They’ve been a beloved breakfast and snack item for years, and for good reason. The combination of zesty lemon and crunchy poppy seeds creates a flavor profile that’s hard to resist.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a muffin that’s equal parts delicious and educational, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are the way to go. They’re perfect for breakfast or a midday snack, and the tangy lemon and nutty poppy seeds make for a delicious and refreshing treat. So what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and start baking!
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring Cup
- Glass mixing bowl
- 1 Blending whisk
- 1 Spatulas
- 12 Silicone baking cups
- 1 Baking sheet
- 1 Dough scoop 3 tbsp
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup Yogurt plain
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp almond slivers
How to Make This Recipe
This Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin recipe is relatively easy to make, even for beginners, but there are a few crucial things to keep in mind to ensure the muffins turn out perfectly. Accurate measurements are essential, and thoroughly mixing the dry ingredients together ensures that the muffins have a uniform texture. Be careful not to overmix the batter, as this can result in dense and tough muffins. Lastly, gently fold in the poppy seeds to avoid overmixing and loss of texture. With these tips, you’ll be able to create delicious and perfectly textured Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins that will impress everyone who tries them.
- To begin, measure all ingredients and preheat your oven to 375F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a hand whisk, mix the flour together until it’s completely combined with the other dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar.
- Use a large hand whisk or mixer to mix the ingredients together.
- Add an egg, lemon juice, and vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Whisk it again.
- Add yogurt to the mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix until everything is combined and the dough has a smooth consistency.
- Add poppy seeds to the mixture.
- Fold poppy seeds in with a rubber spatula.
- Get ready with a baking sheet, large dough scoop, and silicone muffin cups.
- Place the silicone cups on the baking sheet with space between them.
- Scoop one dough scoop into each silicone cup.
- Sprinkle the dough with almond slivers. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins!
Variations of this recipe
One of the great things about baking is that there’s always room for experimentation. While Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are delicious on their own, there are plenty of variations you can try to mix things up. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – If you’re a fan of blueberries, why not add them to your Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins? The sweetness of the blueberries pairs perfectly with the tangy lemon and nutty poppy seeds. Plus, the burst of blueberry flavor will take these muffins to the next level.
- Orange Poppy Seed Muffins – Lemon isn’t the only citrus fruit you can use in your muffins. Orange adds a slightly sweeter flavor that pairs well with the nuttiness of the poppy seeds. These muffins are perfect for those who prefer a slightly sweeter treat.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting – If you want to take your muffins to the next level, try adding cream cheese frosting. The tanginess of the cream cheese pairs perfectly with the lemon and poppy seeds. Plus, who doesn’t love a good frosting?
These variations not only add new flavors to your muffins, but they also alter the texture. For example, the addition of blueberries adds a burst of juiciness to your muffins, while cream cheese frosting adds a smooth and creamy texture. So don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things. Who knows? You might just stumble upon a new favorite recipe.
As someone who loves to bake, I always make sure to store my baked goods properly to keep them fresh. The same goes for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. Proper storage can help to maintain the muffins’ freshness and prevent them from going stale too quickly.
If you plan on enjoying your muffins within the next few days, storing them on the countertop in an airtight container or plastic bag is a good option. This will keep them at room temperature and prevent them from drying out too quickly. Just make sure to consume them within 3 days for optimal freshness.
If you don’t plan on consuming your muffins within a few days, it’s best to store them in the fridge. This will help to extend their shelf life for up to a week. Again, make sure to store them in an airtight container to prevent them from picking up any odors or flavors from the fridge.
If you’re planning on storing your muffins for longer than a week, the freezer is the way to go. Muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months, which is great if you want to make a big batch and save some for later. To freeze your muffins, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen muffins, simply take them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw at room temperature. Alternatively, you can heat them up in the microwave or oven for a few minutes to bring back their fresh-baked taste.
So whether you plan on storing your muffins on the countertop, in the fridge, or freezer, just make sure to store them properly to maintain their freshness and flavor.
When it comes to Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, there are plenty of ways to enjoy them. Personally, I love pairing them with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast. The tangy lemon and nutty poppy seeds complement the richness of coffee or the soothing taste of tea perfectly.
If you’re looking for a midday snack, these muffins also make a great option. They’re easy to pack and take with you on-the-go, and they’re a delicious way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
But what about storing and reheating your muffins? To keep them fresh, I recommend storing them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want to keep them for longer, you can store them in the fridge for up to a week.
When it comes to reheating, I prefer to pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. This helps to bring out the freshness of the muffins and make them taste like they’re fresh out of the oven. Alternatively, you can heat them up in the oven for a few minutes at 350°F.
So there you have it – some serving suggestions and tips for storing and reheating your Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. Whether you’re enjoying them for breakfast or as a midday snack, these muffins are sure to satisfy.
More Muffin Recipes
Similar Recipes ideas
If you’re a fan of Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, you’re going to love these similar recipes! From blueberry muffins to lemon cookies, these treats are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate
- Maggiano’s Copycat Lemon Wedge Cookies
- July 4th Lemon Cupcakes
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin variations are the perfect way to mix up your baking routine. Whether you prefer blueberries or white chocolate, there’s a recipe here for everyone. So grab your apron and get ready to bake up a storm!