How to make pancakes that combine the fresh flavor of coconut with the rich taste of bananas!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Most of us are pretty familiar with the banana predicament. You know what I’m talking about. When you buy a bunch of bananas with the intention of having a healthier snack around, but then half of them end up sitting there untouched after you find a lost pack of cookies in the back of the pantry. Now the bananas are much past their prime and the very sight of them fills you with grocery guilt. Well, it is time to let that guilt go because these bananas have not actually been wasted yet. They now happen to be in the perfect stage for baking and cooking up delectable banana recipes!
One of the most common baking recipes made to take advantage of using ripened bananas is the famous (and scrumptious) banana bread, but I want to expand your kitchen creativity a little bit. So, today I am going to show you how to make these delightfully toasty coconut banana pancakes! Ok so you may have heard of bananas being used in pancake recipes before, but I bet you are not as familiar with the idea of adding some toasty coconut into the mix. If this idea is new to you let me go ahead and say that these are beyond wonderful and this flavorful duo happens to be, hands down, my husband’s favorite combination of flavors. I mean, who can blame him really? The toasty yet fresh flavor of the coconut pairs blissfully with the rich flavor of the bananas and maple syrup!
Pancake Tools and Equipment
One of the most delightful things about whipping up some delectable pancakes is that this recipe doesn’t require a lot of kitchen tools or fancy equipment. Even to make fancier and more flavorful pancakes, the equipment required is simply just the same.
Kitchen Tools for Coconut Banana Pancakes:
- Frying pan
- Glass mixing bowl
- Blending whisk
- Pancake spatula
- Serving spoon
- Wilton Candy Melt (optional)
- I prefer to use this candy melt to melt my butter because it quickly and evenly transfers the heat for smoother melting.
Toasty and Delicious Coconut Banana Pancake Ingredients
After all of your equipment is gathered, it is time to prepare your pancake batter ingredients. This is where all of the flavorful fun happens!
Coconut Banana Pancake Ingredients:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or cake flour
- I prefer to use cake flour in most of my baking recipes so the final texture is fluffier and more cake-like.
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut shredded
- cooking spray oil
How to Make Irresistible Coconut Banana Pancakes
If you are already a pancake maker then you know the drill. Grab your gear, gather the ingredients, mix, pour, and serve! The same routine applies here but with a few little twists to add in the uniquely delicious flavor combo that really makes these coconut banana pancakes a sweet breakfast treat that really stands out!
Mixing the Coconut Banana Pancake Batter:
- First, use a fork or a potato masher to mash the 2 ripe bananas in a large mixing bowl. Then, mix in the melted butter.
- Next, in a separate medium size mixing bowl, combine together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In another separate large bowl, combine all the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then use a blending whisk to whisk them all together.
- Next, pour the egg mixture into the bowl of mashed bananas and mix well.
- Then, add the dry ingredient mixture into the banana mixture in small batches, whisking between each addition. Mix until the pancake batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- After the batter is completely combined, use a silicone spatula to fold in the shredded coconut.
Cooking and Garnishing Homemade Pancakes:
- Before you start cooking the pancakes you want to get your garnishes ready.
- So first, prepare a frying pan and use it to toast the shredded coconut until a golden color is reached.
- Then, heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Spray the skillet with cooking oil, then pour a scoop of batter into the skillet. Cook the banana pancake until it is golden brown on the bottom then carefully flip it with a pancake spatula.
- Remove the pancake from the frying pan when both sides are golden brown.
- Then, repeat the cooking and flipping process until all the pancake batter is gone.
- When you are getting close to scooping out the last of the batter go ahead and slice up another banana to garnish with.
- Finally, garnish the homemade coconut banana pancakes with the thinly sliced bananas, toasted coconut, and delicious maple syrup.
Safe Pancake Storage
Need to save these fancy pancakes for later? No problem! These coconut banana pancakes can easily be stored for later use whether it is in batter form or already fully cooked.
- This pancake batter can be temporarily stored in the mixing bowl.
- Just cover the bowl securely with some food wrap, or a lid, and transfer to the fridge.
- The batter can be stored for 1-2 days.
- Fully cooked pancakes can be stored either in the fridge or in the freezer.
- To store them in the fridge just transfer the cooked pancakes to an airtight container and keep them refrigerated for 2-3 days.
- To freeze cooked pancakes, first make sure to cool them completely.
- Then, to prevent them from sticking together, place wax or parchment paper sheets between each pancake.
- Transfer the pancakes to a ziploc bag or an airtight container, then store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat frozen pancakes for a few minutes either in a toaster, a toaster oven or the microwave.
Fancy Pancake Occasions
These coconut banana pancakes are so unique and delightful that they are perfect for adding a special touch to everyday life or for making a special occasion even sweeter! You certainly do not have to wait for a special holiday or event to make these tasty treats, but if you do want to save the recipe for a special day here are a few occasions that would be perfect for trying out this pancake recipe!
Serve coconut banana pancakes for:
- An extraordinary weekend breakfast
- A Father’s Day surprise brunch
- As a sweet birthday breakfast
- Warm and toasty fall breakfast, brunch, or even dessert.
- Like to go all out for every holiday? Give these pancakes a try on just about any fall or winter holiday to start the day off with a toasty, celebratory breakfast.
Coconut banana pancakes
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Mix in melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients-flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk them together.
- Add egg mixture into a bowl with mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients in small batches. Whisk between each addition. Mix ingredients until smooth batter formed without lumps.
- Fold in with spatula shredded coconut.
- For garnish, toast shredded coconut on a frying pan until golden color.
- Heat the skillet on medium heat. Spray with cooking oil and pour a scoop of batter into the skillet. Cook pancake until golden-brown on the bottom and carefully flip with a spatula.
- Remove pancake from the frying pan when both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat the process until all batter is gone.
- Garnish with thinly sliced bananas, toasted coconut, and syrup.