How to make an easy homemade mixed berry compote for fancy dessert topping!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Have you ever ordered a big slice of cheesecake or a glorious sundae at a restaurant and it came out to the table topped with a gorgeous and deliciously sweet berry sauce? Ever wondered what that heavenly sweet stuff is and if you can make some of it at home? If your answer is yes, then your day is about to be made! That yummy dessert topping is a fruit or berry compote and it can very easily be made right in your own kitchen!
If you are wondering what exactly a fruit compote is, it is basically just what it looks like. A compote is a sweetened berry or fruit sauce that is made in a heating then cooling process. Compotes can be made with any berry or with fruits such as peaches, pears, or mangos. What can they be used for? Glad you asked! Berry compotes can go on top of an endless variety of desserts and can even be used in some fruity drinks to add flavor and aesthetic. Just follow along while I break down how to make your very own Mixed Berry Compote!
To make an easy homemade mixed berry compote all you need is a nonstick cooking pot, a spatula, frozen mixed berries, a sweetener, and a pinch of salt. Just combine all of the ingredients in the cooking pot, let simmer for 5 minutes while stirring, then let it cool completely and serve!
Equipment for Making Mixed Berry Compote
Would you believe me if I told you that you only need 2 tools in your kitchen to make this easy homemade berry compote? Well you better believe it because it is delightfully true! Even though this berry sauce adds a fancy touch to desserts and other treats, this easy berry compote does not require a lot to make. In fact, this is probably one of the most simple recipes that you will ever come across that makes such a big difference in homemade recipes!
To make a smoother compote consistency, you may also need a fork or potato masher for mashing the berries.
Mixed Berry Compote Ingredients
Think you’ve got it easy because you only need 2 kitchen tools to make this easy recipe? Well I’ve got even better news for you! Now you only need to gather 3 ingredients! It seems almost too easy, right? Just wait until you see how easy it is to whip together!
- 16 oz bag of frozen mixed berries
- You can use fresh berries if you prefer, but frozen berries are ready to use with no extra preparation steps.
- You can substitute any frozen berry of your choice for this recipe.
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, honey, or sugar
- A pinch of salt
More Breakfast Recipes
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Breakfast Empanada With Eggs and Sweet Potato
Blueberry Muffins with White Ganache
Zucchini Cakes and Herb and Sour Cream Spread
Simple Banana Bread with Walnuts
How to Make an Easy Mixed Berry Compote
Alright, I’ve hyped up how incredibly simple this recipe is to prepare and make, so now it’s time to get down to the details. Without further ado, here is how to make your very own homemade mixed berry compote!
- First, combine all 3 of the ingredients in a nonstick cooking pot.
- Then, cook the berry mixture over medium heat while making sure to stir the compote occasionally with a heat resistant spatula.
- Once the berries start boiling, reduce the heat and let them simmer for another 5 minutes. Continue to stir occasionally.
- If you are trying to get a smoother consistency then this is the time to mash the fruit with a fork or potato masher.
- Finally, remove the mixed berry compote from the heat and let it cool completely before serving.
Storing Homemade Berry Compote
Another great thing about this homemade compote is that it will last for several days in the fridge. You can easily make this berry or fruit compote ahead of time and have it to enjoy all week long!
- Once cooled, transfer the homemade berry compote to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Berry Good Serving Ideas
As you might have seen, this berry good stuff can be served on many different kinds of yummy desserts. But a little known restaurant and bar secret is that some of them also use berry and fruit compotes like this to make their fruity drinks and adult cocktails!
Serve this sweet homemade berry compote on top of:
- French toast
- A bowl of ice cream or sundae
- Cake or cheesecake
- In tea for a homemade wildberry tea or
- In lemonade for homemade berry lemonade
- In fruity homemade cocktails such as sangrias
For homemade fruity tea or lemonade, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of berry compote into an individual glass of iced tea or lemonade. To mix well either stir the mixture vigorously, shake, or blend without ice. For frozen fruity lemonades, use a blender to blend lemonade and fruit compote with a full glass of ice. Add more or less compote if desired.
Mixed berry compote
- 16 oz mixed berries frozen
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey, sugar
- pinch salt
- Refrigerate for up to 7 days.
- Use fork or potato masher to mash fruits for smoother compote consistency.
Leave a Reply