How to make an easy and dreamy homemade chocolate ganache to add to any of your favorite desserts!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Have you ever made a homemade cake or cupcakes that you wanted to turn out as irresistible as if it had come from a bakery instead of your own kitchen? But then, by the time you finished measuring, mixing, and pouring up the batter you were completely baker-ed out? And your kitchen was already coated with flour from the cabinets to the floor so the idea of topping off your handcrafted masterpiece with a fancy, hand-whipped, icing made from scratch seemed like it would be an undefeatable challenge? No need to let yourself get overwhelmed! Taking your homemade treats from basic to bakery-style quality can be a lot easier than you probably think it is! This recipe for homemade Chocolate Ganache is the simplest way to add richness and decadence to any dessert you can imagine!
I know, I know… For some reason when people hear “homemade ganache” they shy away from the idea that they can successfully make such a top-notch, classic, dessert topping. That idea is simply absurd! This homemade chocolate ganache is ridiculously easy to make and the results are marvelous! With only a few cooking utensils and ingredients needed, this recipe is surprisingly easy to follow along! Perfect for overcoming fret and stress over whipping up the perfect icing or glaze for your homemade baking masterpiece.
To make easy and delicious homemade chocolate ganache all you need is some whipping cream, chocolate chips, salt, and vanilla extract. Just use a saucepan to heat up the cream, salt, and vanilla; then pour the heated mixture over the chocolate chips. Mix all together until smooth, then cover and cool 1-3 hours in the fridge.
Equipment for Mixing Up Easy Chocolate Ganache
As I mentioned above, one of the simple joys of this easy ganache recipe is that it requires only a few kitchen tools and cookware. So, luckily you do not need a fancy kitchen set-up to successfully make this delightful dessert topping, just some basic kitchen necessities. This seems especially handy during those times that you have convinced yourself to make an intricate homemade cake but the pile of dirty cookware that keeps accumulating in the sink is enough to make you want to cry.
Chocolate Ganache cookware:
More Cupcakes Recipes
Dreamy Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
Another great thing about this recipe is that you get delectably sweet results using only a few ingredients too. It is as close to pure chocolate as you can get for homemade frosting or icing. This is easily the most simple way to add decadence and richness to any bundt cake, cupcake, pie, or pastry. All-in-all, making this chocolate dessert topping is just as dreamy as getting to enjoy the tasty ganache itself!
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
Whipping Up Some Homemade Chocolate Ganache
After gathering up the chocolate ganache ingredients and cookware it is time to whip up some delicious homemade goodness. The ganache-making process is just as smooth and sweet as the end result. Fair warning, once you try this out a time or two it will be more difficult to convince yourself to make more complicated and intricate frostings for future homemade desserts. But that’s ok, the deliciousness of this simple recipe is enough to make you think like that anyway.
- First, pour the chocolate chips into a large glass mixing bowl. Make sure your bowl is heat-safe.
- Next, grab a small saucepan and drop in the whipping cream, vanilla, and salt and combine them all together.
- Heat the mixture on med-low until it is hot and starts to bubble but do not let it boil.
- Then, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate chips.
- Use a spatula or a blending whisk to mix the chocolate ganache thoroughly. Keep mixing until it reaches a smooth consistency and then cover the bowl with plastic food wrap. Occasionally, unwrap and mix the ganache mixture.
- Finally, transfer the chocolate ganache to the refrigerator and let it cool completely, about 1-3 hours.
Tips and Tricks for Successful Ganache
Here are a few commonly-shared tips to keep in mind to make sure you get the best quality of your homemade ganache:
- Turn your chocolate ganache into a Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting! Once the chocolate ganache cools completely, just use a hand mixer to beat it on medium speed for about 5 minutes until it’s light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Do not try to substitute the whipping cream for a thinner liquid such as milk. This will keep your ganache from setting properly. Stick to whipping cream or heavy cream only!
- Ganache can be made with semi-sweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate using chocolate chips or baking bars.
- When using chocolate chips over the baking bar, the better the quality of the chips, the better quality your ganache will be.
- If you want to make this already easy ganache recipe even easier you can let the hot cream mixture sit on the chocolate chips for a minute or two to soften up the chocolate and make it easier to hand mix.
Safely Storing Chocolate Ganache
If there’s ganache leftover or if you happen to be making this ahead of time and need to store it until you’re ready to use it for a future dessert project, you absolutely can! Here’s what you do to safely store homemade chocolate ganache:
- You can wrap and store the leftover ganache in the glass mixing bowl or transfer it to a ziploc bag. Either way mark the date on the outside of the wrapping to keep up with freshness.
- If storing in a bowl or container, make sure to always wrap with a piece of plastic food wrap pressed against the surface of the container to prevent any film or crust from forming on the chocolate.
- The ganache can be safely kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Or the chocolate ganache can even be stored in the freezer (in a freezer-safe container or bag) for up to 1 month.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight. If a drizzling effect is desired then let it come to room temperature after thawing.
Ganache Serving Ideas
There is a blissfully endless amount of desserts and sweets that you can make even better with this easy chocolate ganache recipe! Having so many options can make it difficult to even know which idea to start with. Here are just a few suggestions to get your taste buds going.
Use this homemade Chocolate Ganache for:
- Glazing or icing any flavor of cupcakes, cakes, cheesecake, ice cream, cookies, pies, brownies, or blondies.
- For a fun twist on traditional cupcakes check out my recipe for Raspberry Cupcakes topped with this yummy homemade ganache!
- As a filling for layered cakes, pies, or inside cupcakes.
- As a dip for delicious plump strawberries, pineapple, or other fresh fruit.
- Use as a base for homemade chocolate truffles to feature on a Valentine’s Charcuterie Board.
Whatever homemade dessert you want to make, this homemade chocolate ganache is the perfect -and easiest- way to add a dreamy decadence to your baking masterpiece! Skip the stress and fearlessly frost your bundt cakes, fill your cupcakes, or dip your cookies with ease using this handmade chocolatey deliciousness.
- Place chocolate chips in a large glass bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine whipping cream, vanilla, and salt. Heat until hot and starts to bubble.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Mix it thoroughly with a spatula or whisk and cover with plastic wrap. Keep mixing ganache until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Cool completely, about 1-3 hours in the refrigerator.